Alicia did her first standup set at 18. She graduated from Hampshire College with a degree in standup comedy and filmmaking.
Mentored by several talented comedians over the years, W. Kamau Bell (HBO, FX), Eugene Mirman (Flight of the Conchords), and Bill Santiago (Huffington Post, CNN, Comedy Central), she’s been knocking audiences out (not literally) at clubs like The Improv and Gotham Comedy Club, in San Francisco, New York, Hollywood, Bombay, Chennai, and London. She’s performed with Maria Bamford, Ali Wong, Moshe Kasher, Brent Weinbach, Kevin Avery, Kevin Kataoka, Ann Randolph, Kate Willett, and many more comedy luminaries.
After a dozen years of doing standup, she’s been racking up awards for her humorous, insightful one-woman shows. The SF Guardian called her “Goofy, messy, and fun!” The LA Theater Review says she’s “Charming, likable, and funny!” Sold-out hit shows and extended runs have garnered her a number of awards.
Her solo shows include, The Oy of Sex, Eat, Pray, Laugh!, The Punchline, and The Latest Show on Earth Circus. She’s also creator of The Spiritual Comedy Festival, an online event attended worldwide, and Making Light Comedy Fest, a live comedy and music experience in San Francisco.
Alicia wrote a humorous number-one best-selling book on Amazon, called Getting Shit Done. Her show, The Oy of Sex premiered in New York Off-Broadway in 2016.
Alicia has appeared on NPR, The Wall Street Journal, San Francisco Examiner, San Francisco Chronicle, East Bay Express, The Lady Brain Show, J Magazine, BeliefNET, Elephant Journal, Elevate, Inspyr, Integral Yoga Magazine, The Mindful Word, Awaken.com, Taoish.com, and more.
- Voted “Best Comedian” -San Francisco Bay Guardian Best of the Bay Reader’s Poll
- Voted “Best Comedian” -San Francisco Weekly Best of the Bay Reader’s Poll
- “Best of the Fringe” -CAFE Arts Hollywood Fringe Festival
- “TBA Recommended Show” -Theatre Bay Area
- ”Best Storyteller” -Off-Broadway New York Solo Festival
- “Best of the Fringe” (twice) -San Francisco Fringe Fest [twice, for two shows]
- “Best Female Solo Show”, -San Francisco Fringe Festival
- Voted “Best Local Comedian” -East Bay Express
- “Pick of the Week” -SF Chronicle Pink Section,
- “What’s Hot Pick of the Week” -ABC News in SF
“Alicia is hilarious and fabulous. She has a beautiful heart and soul.”
–Marci Shimoff, Author of Happy for No Reason
“I laughed till I cried! Brilliant writing and performing. She belongs on Letterman. Come see her so you can say you saw her before she was famous.” –Marsha Stevens
“Unbelievably genius. Very helpful for me in many ways, especially spiritually. I was amazed at every single line – her timing, acting, nuanced humor, profound points, the FACES she made! Easily as good as Eddie Izzard.” -Katie Darling, Creator of iWave
“Animated and graceful. After 90 minutes of ‘Eat, Pray, Laugh!’ the house is full of laughter.” -Theatrius
- Review of Eat, Pray, Laugh! in the Mercury News by Sam Hurwitt
- Review of Eat, Pray, Laugh! in the San Francisco Chronicle
- Listing of The Oy of Sex Off Broadway in The New York Times
- Preview of The Oy of Sex in NY Blueprint Maya Klausner
- Review of The Oy of Sex in NY Blueprint (different from the above article) Maya Klausner
- Review of Eat, Pray, Laugh! in Theatrius
- Review of The Oy of Sex in SF Station
- Preview of The Oy of Sex in Playbill
- Preview of The Oy of Sex in San Francisco Examiner by Leslie Katz
- Interview with Alicia about The Spiritual Comedy Festival in The Magical Buffet
- LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH: Interview with Alicia Dattner, spiritual comedian and life coach in The Mindful Word
- Goldstar Audience Reviews of Eat, Pray, Laugh!
- CBS Bay Sunday – Getting Shit Done (book)
- CBS Bay Sunday – Laughter Yoga
- Lady Brain Podcast – The Oy of Sex
- Illum TV with Kelly Marlow on Laughter
- Klausner Kulture on The Oy of Sex
- Open Air on KALW on Eat, Pray, Laugh!
- Maureen Langan on Eat, Pray, Laugh! KGO Radio
- Talkies with Vylma on KPFA on Eat, Pray, Laugh!